Hippocampus Magazine and Books is headed to the AWP Annual Conference and Bookfair! We’re excited to be part of the bustling conference that draws more than ten-thousand writers, academics, MFA programs, publishing professionals, and students!
We created this Hippocampus Magazine at AWP page to keep you up to date on where you can find us, and our friends, during this annual literary event. We’ll cover:
- Meet us at the Bookfair
- Attend our off-site event:a joint reading with three other CNF magazines!
- Find our friends – were to find fellow CNF publications and panels/events featuring our friends
Meet us at the Bookfair
We’ll be at Table 544 during scheduled Bookfair hours. Stop by to chat, take some literature, check out our anthology and forthcoming books. Meeting our readers and contributors (and new friends!), for us, is the best part of AWP. So please stop by!
Meet Rebecca Fish Ewan, Books by Hippocampus author (& Pre-order her book!)
The debut single-author title from Books by Hippocampus, By the Forces of Gravity: A Memoir, is coming in June 2018. Meet the author/illustrator Rebecca Fish Ewan at our table throughout the weekend! And if you pre-order her book, you can also score a limited-edition signed digital print of a drawing created just for this pre-sale promotion, which kicks off at AWP. Times:
- Thursday, March 8: 10:30 a.m. to noon
- Friday, March 9: 1:30 to 2:30 p.m.
Attend Our Off-site Event: Joint Reading of CNF
Join Under the Gum Tree, Fourth Genre, River Teeth & Hippocampus for an AWP happy hour of telling true stories. Four magazines, all publishing exclusively nonfiction, are partnering on this event to bring you a line up of previous contributors
- Friday, March 9, 6 p.m. at Ferg’s Live Tampa – our featured readers are Rebecca Fish Ewan and Michael Fischer
Find our friends:
We’re proud of our Hippocampus family! Our contributors, staff members, conference speakers, and attendees, and other CNF friends are doing some great things in the literary world. We wanted share with you as many of their AWP-related activities as possible.
Panels Featuring Hippocampus Friends
- The Lyric Graphic: Thinking “Outside the Panel” in Comics, Graphic Memoir, Twine, and the Captioned Photo and Video – featuring Books by Hippocampus author Rebecca Fish Ewan and others: Thursday, March 8, 9-10:15 a.m.
- Redemption in the Pen: Insights from the Journeys of Formerly Incarcerated Writers- featuring Hippocampus contributor Michael Fischer and others: Friday, March 9, 4:30-5:45 p.m.
- Writing the Pain: Writing the Pain: Memoirists on Tackling Stories of Trauma – – featuring Hippocampus contributor and HippoCamp speaker Melanie Brooks and others. – Saturday, March 10, 1:30-2:45 p.m.
- We’ll share more soon as we learn of them!
Off-site Events Featuring Hippocampus Friends & Peer Publications
- We’ll share some soon as we learn about them!
We hope to see you at AWP! We’ll update this page as we get closer to the event and as we discover new events featuring our friends.
Be sure to use #awp18 — and #hippoawp — throughout the event.