Hard to believe it’s already December! Our new issue features five fresh pieces of creative nonfiction:
- In “Sacraments”, Elizabeth Castiglione explores (and questions) her faith as she grows up Catholic, and grows into a young woman.
- Anne Fox reflects back to her warm childhood in “Home Fires Burning” – or is it the childhood she wishes she had that she’s recalling?
- In “Danger by its Stem”, Elizabeth Langemak shares a fish out of water story—or, more like a chicken out of the coop tale—about her grandmother’s time on a farm—and the important lesson she passed on.
- April Murphy takes us along on a snowy ride to the Buffalo airport—and into her head as she ponders her relationship with the woman at the wheel, and what could happen should they crash in “Vanilla Bones”.
- Robert Weinberger learns more than how to play the piano in his “bangin’” coming-of-age essay “Sex, Drugs and Vic Giovanni”.
Our articles section features:
- Interview with Teresa Rhyne, author of the memoir The Dog Lives (And so Will I)
- Reviews of Guts, a memoir by actress Kristen Johnston (of Third Rock from the Sun fame); and January First, a memoir by Michael Schofield
- The Writing Life columnists Lisa Ahn and William Henderson share their experiences on what it means to be a writer today. Lisa explores the notion of childhood show and tell, while William concludes that stories never end; they all leave something behind.
We have a few exciting announcements about the Remember in November Contest for Creative Nonfiction. There is one final award to reveal, plus some reader participation prizes to give. Thanks to all who participated!
Reader’s Choice Award
MT Cozzola’s “Tell Me Something Wonderful” earned the Reader’s Choice nod in the 2012 Remember in November Contest for Creative Nonfiction. Congrats, MT!
Reader Participation Awards
The following people have won a reader participation prize, a $5 Amazon.com gift card for interacting with our winning essays via commening, Twitter or Facebook. If your name is below, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Alexandra Borzo
- Anne Phelan
- Lorraine Larson
- Carrie Chase Reynolds
- E. Victoria Flynn
- Kim Dalferes
- Jackie Goedesky
- Johnnie Grozenski
- Joyce Richman
- Kaylie Jones
PUSHCART PRIZE NOMINEES
We selected six stories to be nominated for this year’s Pushcart Prizes. See who made the list.
Enjoy this month’s issue, and perhaps reflect back on some of the most powerful stories from 2012 via our Pushcart list, and our archives.