It’s contest time! Hippocampus Magazine is giving away more than $1,200 in cash and prizes this November in our fifth annual creative writing contest, the Remember in November Contest for Creative Nonfiction. And it’s our biggest prize yet!
Now let’s get to some of those details.
- $1,000 grand prize (1) – plus complimentary registration to HippoCamp 2016
- $150 runner-up (1)
- $25 honorable mention (3)
- Amy Jo Burns
- J. Michael Lennon
- Last year’s grand prize winner, Jennifer Alise Drew
CONTEST DEADLINE AND RULES
- Enter between May 15 and Sept. 30, 2015.
- Previously unpublished memoir excerpts and personal essays of up to 3,500 words are eligible.
- A$12 entry fee supports the prizes. Submittable, our submission tool, uses PayPal to accept and process payments; however, you do not need to have a PayPal account in order to enter. (Submittable retains a portion of this fee to cover its processing costs, and we thank them kindly for their service!)
- Entries must be submitted through Submittable in the 2015 Remember in November Contest for Creative Nonfiction Category, and it must meet the submission requirements outlined on the submission page, most importantly that your full name is not listed on the title page, headers/footers or in file name. Please read submission guidelines carefully before submitting to us, or to any paid contest.
- If you presently have a story under consideration at Hippocampus and would like to enter it into the contest instead, you may withdraw your current submission through Submittable and resubmit under the Remember in November Contest for Creative Nonfiction category.
- Participants may enter the contest as many times as they wish. Also, participants can win more than one prize as we have a blind reading process.
- The Hippocampus reader panel and founding editor will select five finalists from all submissions.
- A panel of special guest judges will select the winners from these finalists.
- Winning stories will be published in the November 2015 issue of Hippocampus Magazine.
- During the month of November, the Most Memorable contest will double as The Remember in November Reader’s Choice prize—the readers of Hippocampus will also have a chance to make their case for which of the five finalists should win!
- All entries will automatically be considered for publication in other forthcoming issues; last year, we published more than a dozen stories that made our contest short list!
- Prizes are in USD. Winners must provide mailing address or PayPal email address to receive prize. (A check or PayPal transfer are the only two methods of prize delivery.) Prizes will be awarded by January 31, 2016.
- The Reader’s Choice Award winner and Reader Participation Award winners will be announced in the December 2015 issue.
Good luck to all![Page edited on 8/16/2015 to add judge names.]