Hippocampus Magazine is giving away more than $1,200 in cash and prizes this November in our seventh annual creative writing contest, the Remember in November Contest for Creative Nonfiction.
QUICK CONTEST OVERVIEW:
- Memoir excerpts and personal essays up to 4,000 words accepted — there is no theme.
- Deadline: August 31, 2017
- $12 entry fee
Complete rules and details below.
- $1,000 grand prize (1) + free registration to HippoCamp 2018
- $150 runner-up (1)
- $25 honorable mention (3-4)
- $25 reader’s choice winner (doubles as the most memorable designation of the month)
Now let’s get to some of those details.
CONTEST DEADLINE AND RULES
- Enter between April 1 and August 31, 2017.
- Previously unpublished memoir excerpts and personal essays of up to 4,000 words are eligible.
- A$12 entry fee (supports prizes; $10.63 goes to Hippocampus after Submittable fee)
- Entries must be submitted through Submittable in the 2017 Remember in November Contest for Creative Nonfiction category, and it must meet the submission requirements outlined on the submission page, most importantly that your full name is not listed on the title page, headers/footers or in file name. Please read submission guidelines carefully before submitting to us, or to any paid contest.
- If you presently have a story under consideration at Hippocampus and would like to enter it into the contest instead, you may withdraw your current submission through Submittable and resubmit under the 2017 Remember in November Contest for Creative Nonfiction category.
- Participants may enter the contest as many times as they wish. Also, participants can win more than one prize as we have a blind reading process.
- Hippocampus staff members and their current students are not eligible to enter.
- The Hippocampus reader panel and founding editor will select five finalists from all submissions.
- A panel of special guest judges will select the winners from these finalists.
- Timeline: We review contest submissions after the deadline in August, so please expect our contest turnaround time to be longer than our usual three months since we open for submissions in April.
- Winning stories will be published in the November 2017 issue of Hippocampus Magazine.
- All entries will automatically be considered for publication in other forthcoming issues; last year, we published more than a dozen stories that made our contest short list!
- Prizes are in USD. Winners must provide mailing address or PayPal email address to receive prize. (A check or PayPal transfer are the only two methods of prize delivery.) Prizes will be awarded by January 31, 2018.
- The Reader’s Choice Award winner and Reader Participation Award winners will be announced in the December 2017 issue.
Good luck to all!
Guest judge announcement TBA.